Who we are
- GRR is an all-volunteer, 501(c)3 non-profit organization, active in central Texas.
- Our goals are to educate the public about responsible dog ownership, particularly with Golden Retrievers.
- GRR places homeless Goldens in new, loving homes.
Area we serve
- We serve Austin/San Antonio and the surrounding Central Texas area.
- We cannot consider applicants outside the state of Texas
- We do not ship or transport dogs.
If you live outside the Central Texas (Austin and San Antonio) area, before applying, please email us to determine if we have volunteer resources near you. You must also be willing to drive to Austin or San Antonio to meet and adopt the dog. If you live in Houston, we recommend you first contact Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston. If you live in Dallas, we suggest you contact Golden Retriever Rescue of North Texas or Dallas/Ft. Worth Metro Golden Retriever Rescue.
Are you eligible?
- You must provide a loving, humane and safe environment for the Golden, which includes keeping the dog inside a climate-controlled home without access to the outdoors when the dog is home alone.
- You must provide regular veterinary care and all state or locally required vaccinations to comply with a vaccination schedule under the direction of a licensed veterinarian as well as heartworm testing and preventative year round as directed by your veterinarian.
- You must comply with all local laws regarding leashing and licensing of your dog.
- You must provide a safe, physically fenced yard for the Golden to play and exercise in. (See "Why Do I Need A Fence?"). Exceptions to the fencing requirement are made by the board on a case-by-case basis for Senior (age 8 or older) dogs. (See "Golden Gems" for more info on Seniors).
- You must agree to keep the Golden contained and on a leash when outside a fenced area and not allow the dog to roam free at any time.
- You must return the dog to GRR at any time if the owner is unable to keep the Golden for any reason or if lifestyle changes make the owner unable to maintain the above conditions for the dog.
- Golden Ribbon Rescue no longer adopts dogs to families with children under the age of 8 years old (repeat adopters will be considered on a case by case basis). Children between 8 and 10 will be matched to dogs with known histories with children, so the wait could be long. Please see our reasons for this policy change.
Terms and conditions
The primary terms and conditions which will be included in the adoption contract, if you complete the process, are listed here.
The application and adoption process
- Please be advised that there may be is a waiting list to adopt that can vary widely depending on the needs of your family and those of our dogs. That's because GRR works to make the right match of dog and family; to find a Golden that fits your lifestyle, and that will be a cherished family member and companion for life.
- Keep in mind that preferences such as age and gender can also lengthen the wait time.Rest assured, however, that once your adoption application is approved, GRR will contact you when a suitable match is found.
- Currently, we are in need of adoptive families wanting to adopt a senior Golden, or a Golden with a special need, e.g. those needing maintenance medication for thyroid issues, joint and diabetic medications, or with storm phobia. These dogs may possibly outweigh the number of younger dogs that we have in foster care. Please consider opening your heart and home to them - just like our young dogs, they too are looking for their forever homes.
- We also are in desperate need of foster homes - opening your home to a Golden in need, especially if you are considering adoption, is a foster pending adoption opportunity.
- During holidays, our volunteers need to spend time with their families and there may be an additional delay in processing applications. We appreciate your patience.
- Complete the on-line application & pay the non-refundable application fee (please be sure you are not out of area before applying).
- APPLICATION FEE: There is a $10 non-refundable Application Fee to review your application for adoption. We reserve the right to deny an application for any reason. This fee can be paid online with Visa/MasterCard or electronic check, OR via USPS to GRR, PO Box 956, Austin TX 78767.
- ADOPTION FEE: 0 to 7 years of age $350.00, Golden Gem 8 years of age and older $200.00 (though anything over will apply toward your membership)
- ADOPTION FEE - Turkey Goldens: $600.00 (though anything over will apply to your membership). Learn more about our Turkey Goldens here.
- Application received
- Verification that the application fee has been received and is noted on the application.
- Submission of your application (and application fee) does not guarantee the adoption of a Golden Retriever from Gold Ribbon Rescue. Nor does it arbitrarily guarantee the adoption of any one specific dog the applicant may have seen (via website or newsletter) from GRR.
- Sometimes it may be necessary for the board to recommend that you seek other sources of adoption.
- Phone interview with a GRR volunteer
- Initial contact made by GRR volunteer via phone or e-mail will be made in approximately one week after receipt of your application.
- Interview is completed, and you will either move on to a home visit or the GRR Adoption Director will contact you with the results of your interview.
- Sometimes it may be necessary for the board to recommend that you seek other sources of adoption.
- Home visit with a GRR volunteer and his/her Golden
- A GRR volunteer will contact you and schedule your home visit to occur two to three weeks following your phone interview.
- ALL members of your family MUST be present at the home visit.
- Sometimes it may be necessary for the board to recommend that you seek other sources of adoption
- Once approved, moved into the matching process
- When home visit is successfully completed, you will be contacted by the GRR Matchmaker within one to two weeks via e-mail or phone.
- After contact with the Matchmaker is made, it is impossible to estimate how long it will take to find the right Golden for you. Variables include:
- Availability of foster homes
- Numbers of dogs in care
- Your specific requirements
Meeting adoptable dogs
Families qualified to meet adoptable dogs
- Completed adoption process and are approved and ready for a dog
- Matched to appropriate dog by Gold Ribbon Rescue Matchmaker
- Once Matchmaker and family discuss a particular dog, that dog is kept in reserve until the meet can take place.
- If meet is successful, dog is adopted
- If meet is not successful, dog goes back up for adoption
- If meet is not successful Matchmaker will continue the search for a more appropriate dog for your family
- ALL family members (including family dogs) are required to attend the meet
GRR DOES NOT guarantee the adoption of any specific dog requested or noted on the application
All adoptions are given a 14 day trial period in which the Golden may be returned for any reason. If this occurs, your adoption fee will be returned, or another dog provided depending on your wishes, provided the dog is returned in the same or better condition as when he/she was adopted and that there is no evidence of neglect or intentional misconduct. Note that the application fee is non-refundable.
How goldens find GRR
- Surrendered by owner
- Turned in by cooperating shelters
- Strays found by Good Samaritans
- GRR does not buy dogs, but we will pay reasonable shelter adoption fees
- GRR rarely gets puppies under 6 months of age
How GRR prepares dogs for adoption
- Examined by vet
- Vaccinations brought up to date
- Heath issues identified and treated
- Heartworm tested, treated if necessary, and placed on heartworm preventative
- Placed on flea and tick preventative
- Spayed or neutered if dog is old enough
- Foster care for a minimum of two weeks
- Temperament evaluated
- Activity level evaluated
- House training started
- Crate training started
- Basic obedience training started
How GRR matches dogs to families
What you should consider:
- Energy level
- Match for your lifestyle
- Male or female dog
- Desired personality
- Appropriate age for your family (Rule of Thumb: No dogs under 2 years of age for families with children under 8 years of age)
- The more specific your requirements, the longer you will wait to be matched to the right dog
What GRR Matchmaker considers:
- Appropriate energy level for your family
- Dog matches your lifestyle
- Dog is age appropriate for your family
- Dog’s personality is appropriate for your family
- Compatibility of GRR dog with your family pets
In the event an applicant requests a dog that we believe to be unsuitable for them, GRR reserves the right to offer the dog(s) we feel are most appropriate for the applicant and their individual needs.
Remember: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- Do I really care about the color of my new Golden?
- Do I really care about the size of my new Golden?
- Do I really care about the specific appearance of my new Golden?
- If these things are important to you, then a rescue Golden may not be right for you.
WE MATCH DOGS TO ADOPTIVE HOMES BY TEMPERAMENT AND PERSONALITY. IF APPEARANCE IS A PRIMARY CONSIDERATION FOR YOU, WE WILL BE HAPPY TO REFER YOU TO PERSONS WHO CAN HELP YOU FIND A DOG WITH THE LOOK YOU WANT.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does GRR spend on each dog?
$200.00 - $460.00 depending on:
- Time of year (heartworm, flea, allergy season)
- Age of dog (puppies and seniors require more care)
- Spay/neuter needed
- Additional health issues requiring treatment (can increase costs by thousands)
- Adoption fees are based upon the age of the dog
What if I want a puppy?
The health and temperament of Goldens have suffered because of indiscriminate and irresponsible breeding practices. If you decide to purchase a puppy, we encourage you to research the breeder and avoid the pitfalls and dangers of backyard breeders and the puppy mills that flourish in Texas. Although GRR does not have a breeder referral service, we encourage you to read the “Thinking About a Puppy” section of our website. Referrals to the local Texas breed clubs are listed for your convenience.